Lovelady is the 1956 solo album by American actress and singer
Lovelady Powell. Released on the Transition jazz label, the album preserved Lovey's cabaret act, recorded at New York's Upstairs at the Duplex venue.
Alongside her accompanist Brooks Morton, Lovelady became a regular fixture on the New York supper club scene of the late 1950s, performing at such prestigious venues as the Blue Angel and Bon Soir.
Lovelady's cabaret repertoire comprised an eclectic fusion of material drawing on musical theatre, jazz and operetta. Highlights
including songs from The Golden Apple, The Cat and the Fiddle, Bittersweet
and two songs from James Shelton's play with music 'Mrs. Patterson'.
After starring in the 1963 Off Broadway musical Riverwind, Lovelady was invited to become a featured singer on television's
The Danny Kaye Show. Further television and film work followed including feature roles in
'I Never Sang for My Father', 'The Possession of Joel Delaney' and 'The Happy
The original 'Lovelady' LP has since become one of the most highly sought after
solo albums amongst collectors of show music and jazz; the impossibly rare vinyl
commanding 3 figure sums when listed on auction sites. The album now makes its debut on CD as part of Stage Door's
On Demand series, capped at 100 units.
Upstairs at the Duplex with
Lovey Powell and Brooks Morton
1. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON (from 'The Stepping
2. MR. PATTERSON (from 'Mrs. Patterson')
3. I WONDER WHAT BECAME OF ME (from 'St. Louis Woman')
4. ON THE FIRST WARM DAY
5. I'LL REMEMBER APRIL
6. BIDIN' MY TIME (from 'Girl Crazy')
7. LAZY AFTERNOON (from 'The Golden Apple')
8. MORITAT (from 'The Threepenny Opera')
9. TEA IN CHICAGO (from 'Mrs. Patterson')
10. IF LOVE WERE ALL (from 'Bittersweet')
11. MISS OTIS REGRETS (from 'Hi-Diddle-Diddle')
12. TEN CENTS A DANCE (from 'Simple Simon')
13. BARGAIN DAY
14. GLAD RAG DOLL
15. POOR PIERROT (from 'The Cat and the Fiddle')
16. LILAC WINE (from 'Dance Me a Song')
GUARANTEED IN STOCK
- 100 COPIES ONLY!