'Sing Out, Sweet
Land!' opened at Broadway's International Theatre on December 27th 1944 and ran for 104 performances. Presented by the Theatre Guild as "A Salute to American Folk and Popular Music", the production starred
Alfred Drake, Burl Ives, Juanita Hall, Bibi Osterwald, and Alma Kaye. Praised by critics as a "captivating cavalcade of American folk music",
'Sing Out, Sweet Land!' had a book by Walter Kerr with its songs deriving from traditional American folk music alongside original material by John Mundy, Edward Eager and Elie Siegmeister. The songs featured in
'Sing Out, Sweet Land!' were preserved on disc by Decca Records and the original cast recording was issued over a series of 78rpm records and later as a 10" LP album.
The 'Sing Out, Sweet Land!' Original Broadway Cast Recording featuring Alfred Drake and Burl Ives makes its debut on CD. The album is complemented by the 1950 Decca Records studio recording of the
Kurt Weill and Arnold Sundgaard one-act folk opera 'Down In The Valley', featuring
Alfred Drake and Jane Wilson. The score of 'Down In The
Valley' features established American folk songs to carry its narrative (including
'Down In The Valley', 'The Lonesome Dove' and 'Hop Up My Ladies') alongside original chorale music composed by Kurt Weill who supervised the studio recording.
The release of 'Sing Out, Sweet Land!' and 'Down In The Valley' forms part of Stage Door's
'Collector's Series', a line of limited edition CD products presented in the retro style of a miniature long-playing record.
All Collector's Series titles are limited to 500 units.
DATE: APRIL 26th, 2019
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 2490
SING OUT, SWEET LAND!
1. As I Was Going Along - Alfred Drake
2. Where - Alfred Drake
3. Big Rock Candy Mountain - Burl Ives
4. Blue Tail Fly - Burl Ives, Male Chorus
5. I'm Goin' Down The Road - Burl Ives, Jack McCauley
6. Little Mohee - Alfred Drake, Alma Kaye
7. Wanderin' - Alfred Drake
8. I Have Been A Good Boy - Jack McCauley
9. Frankie And Johnny - Burl Ives, Alma Kaye, Jack McCauley, Ted Tiller
10. The Roving Gambler - Jack McCauley, Alma Kaye, Bibi Osterwald
11. Hammer Ring / Watermelon Cry / Didn't My Lord Daniel Deliver - Henk Armstrong, Juanita Hall
12. Trouble, Trouble / Basement Blues - Juanita Hall
13. Casey Jones - Bibi Osterwald
14. More Than These (Sing Out, Sweet Land) - Alfred Drake
DOWN IN THE VALLEY
15. Down In The Valley - Part One - Alfred Drake
16. Down In The Valley - Part Two - Alfred Drake
17. Where (Bonus Track - Radio Performance) - Alfred Drake