'The Body In The Seine' is regarded as the "holy grail" of cast recordings due to its immense rarity and high collectability. The recording is perhaps also the first known example of a musical theatre "concept album", released in 1954 the recording is a pioneering example of the format, released twenty years before the musical concept album became fashionable
with 'Jesus Christ Superstar' and 'Evita'.
'The Body In The Seine' featured music and lyrics by David M. Lippincott who at the time of the album's release in 1954 was working as a jingle writer (writing themes for Coca Cola, Fig Newton and other products) at the Mc-Cann-Erickson New York advertising agency. The album's release was hoped to attract a book writer to adapt the song selection into a story ready for the Broadway stage. In fact, the reverse of the LP even featured a "Help Wanted" ad to highlight their search.
In order to present the score in the best way possible, Lippincott and producers Sam Vitt and D.A. Brown recruited the prestigious musical director
Buster Davis (whose Broadway credits included 'High Button Shoes', 'Make A Wish', 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' and 'Hazel Flagg') to conduct the orchestra and cast the album. To assemble the vocalists for the recording, Davis drew on many Broadway performers he'd previously collaborated with including
Alice Pearce, Laurel Shelby, George S. Irving amongst others. The album is also notable for featuring future US congressman
Jim Symington who performs the musical's title song.
'The Body In The Seine' Cast Album now makes its debut on CD and forms part of Stage Door's
COLLECTOR'S SERIES, a line of limited edition CD products presented in the retro style of a miniature long-playing record. All Collector's Series titles are
limited to 500 units.
time on CD
style LP packaging
to 500 copies
DATE: FEBRUARY 23rd, 2018
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 2430
BODY IN THE SEINE - ORIGINAL STUDIO CAST
Music & Lyrics by DAVID M. LIPPINCOTT
1. OPENING: SEE THE WORLD
- Dean Campbell, Laurel Shelby, Terry Turner, Company [LISTEN]
2. A LADY LIKE ME - Laurel Shelby
3. CHACUN A SON GOUT - Don Liberto
4. YOU REALLY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT - Alice Pearce, George S. Irving [LISTEN]
5. BUT WONDERFUL - Barbara Ashley
6. LOVE ON THE LEFT BANK'S A WILD, WILD THING - Terry Turner, Pat Wilkes, Dean Campbell, Carol Hendricks
7. THE BODY IN THE SEINE - Jim Symington [LISTEN]
8. A LITTLE CHANGE OF SCENE - Pat Wilkes
9. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE? - Terry Turner, Company [LISTEN]
10. DIRGE - Alice Pearce [LISTEN]
11. WHY CAN'T YOU BE YOU? - Don Liberto [LISTEN]
12. FINALE: WHAT THE HELL IS SO WIDE ABOUT THE WORLD? - Laurel Shelby, Entire Company