is regarded as being the first recognised made for television movie. Filmed in November 1955, the television musical was based on
Maxwell Anderson's 1936 play 'High Tor'. Anderson had first considered adapting 'High Tor' as a musical for television in 1949 and enlisted
Arthur Schwartz to compose the song score. Both Anderson and Schwartz envisaged the musical as a star vehicle for
Bing Crosby who played the lead role of Van Van Dorn. After Crosby had seen
Julie Andrews perform in her Broadway debut 'The Boy Friend', he insisted she play the female lead of Lise, marking Andrews' debut on US television.
The story of 'High Tor' centres on Van Van Dorn who owns the mountain 'High Tor' located in New York State. After an argument with girl friend Judy (played in the film by Nancy Olson), Van Dorn is left stranded on the mountain, along with a pair of real-estate swindlers who wish to buy the mountain from Van. A Dutch ghost sailor crew from the 1600s returns to the mountain. In the meantime, Van has discovered Lise (Julie Andrews), a phantom Dutch girl who has been living on the mountain for more than 300 years. She falls in love with Van, and supports him in his fight to hold on to his mountain.
'High Tor' was broadcast on March 10th 1956 by CBS Television as part of the Ford Star Jubilee and received mixed reviews. Despite the lukewarm reaction from critics, an album featuring the songs and story of 'High Tor' was issued by Decca. The album effectively abridges the story of the 90 minute broadcast,
interspersing dialogue from the soundtrack with studio recordings of the song score performed by the stars of 'High Tor'; Bing Crosby, Julie Andrews and Everett Sloane. The songs and story album of 'High Tor' now makes its debut on CD. The release is complemented by two bonus track cover recordings of the film's main theme 'When You're In Love', performed by
LeRoy Holmes Orchestra and Chorus and The Lancers. The release continues Stage Door's
COLLECTOR'S SERIES, a line of limited edition CD products packaged in a card sleeve and presented in the retro style of a miniature long-playing record.
All Collector's Series titles are limited to 500 units.
time on CD
style LP packaging
to 500 copies
DATE: DECEMBER 8th, 2017
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 2420
TOR - ORIGINAL TELEVISION CAST
Music by ARTHUR SCHWARTZ Lyrics by MAXWELL ANDERSON
1. Why yes, I'll tell you what happened on High Tor...
2. LIVING ONE DAY AT A TIME - Bing Crosby [LISTEN]
3. Just after that, two first class skinflints...
4. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE - Bing Crosby [LISTEN]
5. So there I was up there alone...
6. SAD IS THE LIFE OF A SAILOR'S WIFE - Julie Andrews [LISTEN]
7. And then they all drifted away...
8. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE - Everett Sloane, Julie Andrews
9. I don't know whether you'll believe this...
10. A LITTLE LOVE, A LITTLE WHILE - Bing Crosby [LISTEN]
11. I don't know whether I believe this next part...
12. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE (Reprise) - Everett Sloane
13. At that moment the bank robbers came back...
14. JOHN BARLEYCORN - Bing Crosby [LISTEN]
15. They began to offer me real money for High Tor...
16. ONCE UPON A LONG AGO - Julie Andrews [LISTEN]
17. I didn't hear Judy coming....
18. ONCE UPON A LONG AGO - Bing Crosby [LISTEN]
19. There isn't much more to tell...
20. JOHN BARLEYCORN (Reprise) - Bing Crosby, Chorus
21. They got out in a couple of days...
22. A LITTLE LOVE, A LITTLE WHILE (Reprise) - Bing Crosby
23. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE - Leroy Holmes And His Orchestra and Chorus
24. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE - The Lancers [LISTEN]